I have collected data using several methods and drawn it together in Excel. In December last year, after having done a whole bunch of analysis and writing I discovered the basis on which I’d derived percentages for the submissions was wrong. I corrected this after much effort and all was well.
I have now discovered in my spreadsheet of 14 worksheets I’ve fucked up. Yes, there is the f word. I have, over the last two weeks undertaken a fair amount of analysis and writing based on worksheet X in relation to Hansard, when I should have been working on worksheet Y. So I started a whole new spreadsheet to reduce the number of worksheets and minimise future confusion. In this process I realised the data for my submissions was out by one for each of my epochs. So now not only is my data for the Hansard wrong, but it’s wrong the for submissions.
[time passes because I have a thought while writing this post]
But then while doing the Hansard correction in my new spreadsheet I realised I hadn’t made the error I’d made initially, I had used worksheet Y so all is well. Except now all my data is slightly out for the submissions. I suppose this is a good outcome. I’ve cleaned up my data, made it clearer for me and found I’ve done okay where I thought I hadn’t and done a little bit badly in the bit I thought was okay. Ah, the roller coaster of emotions.
The bonus is of course is all the analysis still holds as the minor change for submissions hasn’t altered the findings, just need to adjust the percentage numbers in the text by one or two points. Better now than later I suppose!